Friday, November 27, 2015

Hindu Paganism & What It Means To Me

What is Hindu Paganism and what exactly do I mean when I say that is what I practice?

Well, like any other pantheon in paganism, if you ask 10 of them the same question you're going to get 12 different answers. Meaning, not everyone views each practice the same way and that is perfectly fine. These are my reflections of hindu paganism and they are also subject to change.
Emaze.com 
Hindu Paganism [also has been called Indopaganism and Shakti Paganism amongst many other names, there seems to be no one name we all agree on] to me is paganism with the practice of Hindu deities. Now this can vary depending upon a person's personal preferences [try saying that 5x fast] but overall, the hindu gods have a stronger connection to us then any other gods. Just like those who follow the Norse, Greek, Celtic, Egyptian, etc. deities, we follow the Hindu pantheon.

The two who have the strongest relationship with me are Ganesha, the remover of obstacles and Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth, prosperity, and abundance [thus my name, Ganshmi]. At first when I was studying paganism, I thought I was called upon by Aphrodite and it wasn't until I received a reading that Lakshmi was calling me. I was very much taken aback but after listening to the reading, I realized that this was true, and my own hypothesis is that Lakshmi was using a goddess I knew that was similar to her to begin drawing myself to her. Needless to say, it worked.

Now this is not to say I go to the hindu temples and worship there, [which I honestly could, there is one by my house by only a 15 minute drive but I sadly do not have the time to go and worship in the temple at this time] I worship in the comfort of my own home. Furthermore, I do not take on any hindu customs at this time. I follow my day to day just like any other American would. However, I do try to celebrate some of the hindu holidays such as Diwali, the festival of lights and Ganesh Chaturthi, Ganesha's birthday. Though I am still researching and figuring out what is best for my worship and what pleases my deities, I feel that it will come in due time.

The trouble now is that I am still in the closet in my home, thus my worship is extremely limited. Currently I am reading up on my deities, as well as many more in the hindu pantheon, and it is believed that just by reading up on them and learning them is honoring them. I am able to read at work and online without having to worry about people asking what I am reading. I also am able to make or buy specific candles for my deities and say my mantras to them that I learned during Philly Pagan Pride Day 2015. Om Shreem Heem Lakshmieh Namaha and Om Gaum Ganapataya Namaha [I might not have spelled these correctly]. I have not played with herbs as of yet, but have used some pictures and crystals. I find that they know my situation and understand my circumstances.

And that is the general overview of my hindu paganism. I know this will continue as I develop and grow, so stay tuned!
love & light, Ganshmi

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful blog and I wish you all the best, but just FYI, as Hindus we don't like our beliefs being called "pagan". I know it means something else to Western pagans, but the word "paganism" has an extremely unfortunate history with Hinduism and most Hindus would be very offended at seeing a term like "Hindu paganism". It might be better to just identify yourself as Western pagan who works with some Hindu deities!

    ReplyDelete